Sunday, May 11, 2008

Reflections on Week 1 -- and Ditto, Day 3

I'm back! Was anyone making any bets on me coming back? I hope your money was on my side!

So the first week of my new program has ended. I rode Ginny twice, worked Ditto twice. (I have now ridden Ginny again, which I shall chronicle forthwith, but to be fair "week one" started Sunday, 5/4 and thus ended yesterday, 5/10.) Not an overwheming amount of stuff accomplished, but name me another week in the last several years in which I've done even that much. Stumped, aren't you?

Here are my observations one week into this: Having a plan doesn't make it easy, nor does having a blog. EasiER, maybe. Waiting till everything is perfect will most assuredly result in no riding or training at all. And the nicest realization of all is that the best way to build or stretch riding muscles is... wait for it... TO RIDE. I don't feel great getting onto Ginny (tonight in fact I felt very stiff and sore) but I feel better afterwards and between rides. And that in turn makes it easier to get on again.

So the goal for week 2: at least 3 rides on Ginny, and at least 3 groundwork sessions with Ditto or his mother Imp.

*************************************
Here are a couple of pictures of li'l Ditto that I took this afternoon.








I worked him yesterday (groundwork) in the arena. He was quite resistant to longeing with his oh-so-endearing trait of pulling back to leave the circle. I am still tired and perhaps shouldn't have attempted the session but I did, and I ended up prevailing. He worked in both directions on the circle with almost no hesitation before I called it a day.

I might go back to the round pen next time just because it seemed (last time) to cut off the resistance before it started. He's a smart pony. If backing and pulling and being a little shit are not likely to get him any results, he's not going to make the effort. And for now, to drill GOOD behavior, that might be the best thing.

Oooh, for the groundwork yesterday I fitted him up with my old Steuben Siegfried saddle. What an adorable picture THAT made... :)

Isn't he cute?

5 comments:

Heidi the Hick said...

He is sooooo cute!

I'm applauding your accomplishments too! Every little bit makes a difference.

Peggy Archer said...

He is a cute little bugger!

Is he pacing in the second photo or is that just a funny angle?

fuglyhorseoftheday said...

I like the Stubben Siegfried idea for him. I think I would much rather ride him English and especially with big poofy knee rolls!

I still want to see you ride Ginny. No pics or anything?

Josie said...

I haven't blogged yesterday's ride on Ginny yet (I didn't make it up! I didn't!). But I don't have any pictures of me on her except waaaaaay back when, the first ride after her 30 days of training. For that I should venture Outdoors... and that's a goal too!

Peggy, I don't believe he paces or gaits in any way but you've got a point, I don't know what the heck he's doing in that pic! I'd guess a trot-canter transition.

Spanish Sulphurs said...

Hi, I was wondering the name of the Sulphur stallion that sired Ditto? Horses of this breed are so incredibly rare (the Spanish type at any rate), that every individual is precious. I know that you haven't updated this blog in years, but I hope that you read this and contact me. My email is espanaantigua@yahoo.com and the website (registry) is www.californiavaquerohorse.org

Hope to hear from you soon!

Kimberlee