Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Ginny, Day 3 -- catch-up blog!

I'm intending to ride Ginny this evening and I haven't written about our last ride yet. So before I get back into my Big Project for Work, I shall do so. Nice to see my priorities are straight.

Sunday went as so many Sundays do -- errands to run and things to do around the farm. And no great interest in cracking the whip and flying through the to-do list because, after all, it's SUNDAY. So it was probably 4-5 pm before we were back at the barn and ready to take a nap, er, NO! I mean RIDE!

I talked my friend into riding her young stallion (the Cute Spotted Stallion) first, because I use that time to do stretching exercises and let the Advil kick in. My friend incidentally had an awesome ride and trotted her boy for the first time (Ride 6 I think it was...). He is doing extremely well!

Ginny had been turned out all day on Saturday but still started her groundwork with a big squeal and toss of her long dramatic mane... so I let her run and buck for a little while. She's never been anything but cooperative and quiet (almost to a fault) under saddle but I don't see any reason to demand it of a wiggly young horse when a good run is all it takes.

A brief interruption for a picture of the Pony Princess.
No she did not win that ribbon. It was sent to me and her by a COTH friend. It will suffice until we have one of our own to display. Yes her bridle is pink, and yes there are little bitty jools adorning the bit ring. Hey, if you are nearly 50 and have a fat hony you call a princess, there are going to be props to go with it. I even have a little pink riding crop, but I can't find it. I think Ginny hid it.

Anyway, after the ya-ya was out of her system, I did a bit of groundwork and then mounted. She didn't stand as well as usual for mounting (remember she is being HELD so she shouldn't move at all, oh well) but I was able to lean over her and get my leg over when the opportunity arose.

Ouch. Very VERY stiff for this ride, and my knees were aching as soon as I got on. Only thing I can think of besides just random chance is that I was doing more upper body exercises during my pre-ride warm-up. I did that for a reason and it really did pan out, I'm happy to say! I'll just have to warm up LONGER so none of those pesky old body parts feel shunnnnned.

OK, so the big success. See, I've been having some directing issues with Ginny. My legs, especially at the beginning of a ride, are not really in a position to communicate with her. And she was trained with no real rein contact so I can't take up my usual rein length to direct her. So our path around the arena has been looking like a lot of overlapping pretzels. Between rides I remembered a good visualization from Centered Riding. Please be advised that this is not verbatim but my recollection of the exercise, and it's going to sound silly too. I have found it helpful in the past to pretend my boobs are headlights and I'm responsible for lighting the path I want the horse to take. As with the best/most effective of Sally Swift's imagery, just having that picture in my mind is all it took! Even with the wandering Ginny! No overt twisting or remembering to put this shoulder back and this one forward -- just light the path ahead of you. My friend saw the dramatic difference. We did serpentines and circles with, if not the "greatest of ease" at least a large measure of success and purpose.

I trotted her a little too, and I do mean a little (30 feet?). I am trying to get a post rhythm because I want to be kind and get off her back. However, at a trot she seems like a yacht on a quiet ocean... only the gentlest of rolling. I can NOT pick up posting without feeling like I'm the one doing the work. So next time I'll just try to sit lightly.

Next two mini-goals: a half hour or more in the saddle, and a walk around the property (yes, OUTDOORS!). Today it is pouring rain and chilly, so it will probably be the half hour ride. Let's see, it's 10:30 am... if I start stretching NOW... :)

9 comments:

verylargecolt said...

>>Yes her bridle is pink, and yes there are little bitty jools adorning the bit ring. Hey, if you are nearly 50 and have a fat hony you call a princess, there are going to be props to go with <<

That was HILARIOUS.

Now you have to train the Princess not to interfere with stall cleaning by knocking over the wheelbarrow each and every time your back is turned. Can that be a training goal? LOL...

Josie said...

"Can that be a training goal? LOL..."

Why, when it's so much FUN to just poke her pudgy shoulder repeatedly with the plastic pitchfork? And so effective too... :P

Bad Pony Princess, always hoping there might be a scrap of hay amongst the poops...

cdncowgirl said...

OMG... "headlights" that is GREAT!

I'm going to have to give that a try. I was loping circles to warm up my horse (or rather, I was trying to) and I can't for the life of me lope a circle unless its marked. I'll have to try this tip and see if I can "light the path".

Rode yesterday (at a jackpot!) but I don't get to today. Had chiro this morning and an hour and a half of massage this afternoon. Not really up to doing much tonight. (1 1/2 hour massage is NOT as nice as it sounds, its therapeutic massage so it kinda hurts)

Heidi the Hick said...

Love the pink bridle! And the headlights! My headlights are very , um, focused, let's say. Not a large illumination area.

I hope you're having fun with your pony. It's tough to push yourself out there when your body hurts ( I know it well) but a half hour with a horse is better than an evening on the couch with the TV.

Jill said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jill said...

Hi, stumbled onto your blog from Fugs and VLC. LOVE IT!!!!! I've even been inspired now to start my own riding journal - and lose this fat ass of mine.

Anyway, the boobs as headlights. OMG! That is hilarious, and SO helpful! Good luck, can't wait to read more! :)

~Jill~

Britnie - Riding During Naps said...

I'm with everyone else, boobs as headlights is just great! I will def use this next ride. Glad things went pretty well! Hope next ride did too!

xmuskateerx said...

>>My headlights are very , um, focused, let's say<<

snap! haha I love that idea - again stumbled off fugs and vlc. I shall try the foglights next time...

Smurfette said...

>> My legs, especially at the beginning of a ride, are not really in a position to communicate with her.<<

I thought I was the only FMAR with that problem. When I first am "able to lean over her and get my leg over" my legs are no where NEAR functional, I mean they just don't seem to be listening to my brain telling them what to do!!

Now, when I make myself do it, I have found that pulling my foot up TOWARDS my butt and arcing my body backwards into a stretch helps. But it HURTS and I don't want riding to hurt, wahhhhhh! The hurting is my excuse for not riding much, as much as I love my horse, the shooting pains down my legs are a real joy killer.